Tuesday, June 28, 2011

May it be on Earth as it is in Texas

So there's this local radio station that uses that line ("May it be on Earth as it is in Texas") as one of their little jingle things. I heartily shout "Amen!", especially when it's 105 degrees. They used to say "May it be in Heaven as it is in Austin, Texas". That must have ruffled some feathers because that one disappeared. Speaking of ruffled feathers, twice recently I have been out and about and saw a little sign that says "Raising children is like being pecked to death by a chicken." Amen! (again) I've been thinking of getting one of those signs myself, but thought it might be insufficient. Maybe I should paint that as a giant mural on our new kitchen wall.
I wonder how being pecked to death by a chicken compares to being pecked to death by a goose, because.....I would know! I like to take old bread with us to the park to feed the ducks and geese....a very common thing to do around here. So that's what I was doing the other night, and some evil goose pecked me in the knee. Seriously. So I threw (with my 90 mph fastball) a hot dog bun at his head. Scott thought this was an overreaction. Ahm, he lives at the park, I think he needs to learn to "play well with others". I thought I was justified in teaching him a lesson. Right?
Anyway, here are some trenches that Scott dug. One is for a waterline and the other for a powerline.

Wire, it turns out, is ver' expensive.

Lately I've been thinking of things in terms of dishwashers. Mostly because I underbudgeted for a dishwasher. (Who knew?) So I need something else to come in under budget so we can exceed the budget on the dishwasher. And the range, but I haven't started worrying about that yet. (Probably mostly because we use the dishwasher daily lately, range = not so much.)

So anyway, one measly wire is worth two fancy dishwashers. Lame.
This is Summer and I when we came to watch the trench digging.

(I imagine it may be obvious that a trench digger was rented, this was not done by hand, as Tristan thought it was....ha ha ha.)
It was a bright, sunny day.
For some reason I think this picture is so cute even though she's doing the scrunched nose thing.

(Oh dear, I just deleted a picture, not sure what it was...some house picture. Oh well, more progress shown below.)


Summer, asleep.

Ironically, Summer is both a night owl like her mother and a morning bird like her dad.


Very uncool.

How I know that being a morning person is programmed into you and not a learned behavior:


This morning I was with Summer (she was asleep, amazing, I know, that I was awake, anyway...), but the phone rang, and she flipped her eyes open, immediately bounced up and took off.


If she was normal, what would have happened:


Phone rings. Roll over once. Phone rings again. Roll back the other way, rub eyes. Phone rings again. Blink one eye open. Five minutes later, both eyes open. Ten minutes later, sit up in crib.

Ah, rafters. This photo is from the road.

Looking more like a house all the time.

View from an upstairs window. (I'm still fascinated by the fire, and how close it came to our house.) There's the burnt stuff.

Very spoiled baby who loves to climb.

Interestingly enough, the biggest room in the house is a bedroom (except maybe the kitchen, I should get my facts straight before I start telling stories) and it's not the master bedroom.


This is the big bedroom, and that's a dormer that Tristan is sitting in.

Oh, how boring, I thought there were more pictures. Maybe someday soon. I have been making frequent trips to Glass Lane, and progress is more interesting lately.

P.S. - In case it's on the tip of your mind, the real prayer says "Thy will be done, on earth as it is in Heaven"

No comments: